Wednesday, February 4, 2009

different, yes. meaningful, debatable...

Well, for those that have expressed curiosity in my blog name, I am afraid the anticipation may be greater than the actual explanation, but here goes...
When I was trying to think of a name for my blog I was hoping to come up with something a little different.  I googled "unique blog names" to get some ideas and found an array of randomness.  Surely I could think of some random name, but I wanted to at least link it to something meaningful.  That's when blue chicken popped in my head.  I'll explain..
Our first born, Josiah, is slightly OCD (that might be a generous statement, but keeping in mind he will read this one day we'll land there).  He is also a very pick eater.  I can count on two hands (excluding junk food and treats) what he will eat.  For lunch, he has the same food everyday.. hot dog, carrots, apple, goldfish, strawberries and a granola bar.  The lengths that we have gone to for him to eat new food, particularly at dinner, are numerous.  We have tried everything from a treat at the end of the meal, making him sit at the table until he finishes (which is usually an hour or so),  having him "race" the timer on the stove, to threatening his life.  And my latest attempt included him eating his lunch (which he didn't finish) for dinner and then when he didn't eat it for dinner he had it for breakfast the next day.  My Dad thinks I am cruel.  He's probably right.  
If Josiah had it his way we would be eating his favorite food every night...blue chicken.  Blue chicken, essentially, is.... chicken nuggets...  gasp!   For all you health conscious moms reading this let me clarify these are not ordinary chicken nuggets.  They happen to be Bell and Evans, all natural, no antibiotics or hormones, and only flash fried (meaning they are only dipped in the fryer to get the bread coating to stick) chicken nuggets.  And they come in a blue box, thus the name blue chicken.  Josiah loves them. 
Well, when we put it all together.... Picky eater + OCD = all day torment for mom.  Let your imagination go with it.  Josiah can't get dinner off the brain.  I think he lives in perpetual fear about what will be for dinner.  On the really fun days he asks following breakfast what we will be having for dinner.  Oohhh dear... 
So, there are days when we've have had a great day and I am ready for the battle.   But then there are those days that I'm just not strong enough, not mentally cut out for the fighting fear that lives inside my precious four year old.   Those are the times, that I wisely decide..."it's going to be a blue chicken dinner". 








5 comments:

  1. Well yea! I'm glad you decided to start blogging :). You seem like you're off to a good start!

    Blue Chicken Dinner is an excellent title. Definitely unique and it's got a funny story to back it up. Cheers to your picky eater...who is already providing material for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you started a blog! And I'll have to try the Blue Chicken Dinners on a night when I don't feel like cooking:) Jon ordered that bank for Mia online, so I'll ask him where he got it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog encouragement ladies. And Greta, it's so true...if there is any bright spot in my picky eater, it's got to be the blog material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are blogging !!!! I miss those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Poor guy...I was picky too, although maybe not that picky! Love the blog name!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive